Financial Aid

Financing your Education

The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science has traditionally provided students with generous financial aid, viewing its efforts as an investment in tomorrow's researchers and engineers for the benefit of society. Institutional financial assistance in the form of fellowships, teaching and research assistantships, readerships, and preceptorships are awarded directly by the academic departments.

Federal Financial Aid for Graduate Students
U.S. citizens and permanent residents are eligible to apply for loans available through the Federal Family Education Loan Program and work-study through the Federal Work-Study Program. A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and an Enrollment Status Sheet must be submitted to apply for federal aid. The Enrollment Status Sheet will provide the University with information regarding the student's planned program.

Fellowships can open doors to opportunities that would otherwise seem beyond your reach. For this reason, many students apply for them. Fellowships are prestigious and highly competitive. The application for admission to Columbia Engineering graduate programs is also used to apply for institutional aid, including some fellowships.

Columbia Comprehensive Educational Financing Plan
Columbia University, in collaboration with a number of financial providers, has developed the Columbia Comprehensive Educational Financing Plan. The plan is a combination of federal, institutional, and private sources of funds that will meet the diverse needs of our student population, providing options to part-time, full-time, and international students. The providers have been carefully selected on the basis of their service, experience in higher education, and the terms they are offering Columbia students.

The Columbia Comprehensive Educational Financing Plan offers payment plans, loan programs, lines of credit, and tuition insurance options as well as loans for international students. The loan programs require that an applicant have a good credit standing and not be in default on any outstanding loans. International students with a valid U.S. Social Security number may be eligible for private loans with the assistance of a creditworthy U.S. citizen or permanent resident.

For more information, please see the Office of Student Financial Services.

Graduate Loan Request Form
If you apply for Federal or Private Loan(s), in addition to applying directly with the providers you must also complete a supplementary application and submit it to the Office of Financial Aid and Educational Financing if you are admitted and intend to enroll in a graduate program at Columbia Engineering. Contact the Office of Financial Aid and Educational Financing to obtain a copy of the "Graduate Loan Request Form" or send email to

500 W. 120th St., Rm. 530 Mudd, New York, NY 10027    212-854-6438                
©2012 Columbia University