Answers to questions students ask about applying again to the same program or a new program.

I was admitted, but did not enroll for the term of admission. Can I defer to a future term? 

There is no option to defer admission offers. However, candidates who have applied and were admitted to a Columbia Engineering graduate program, but did not attend, may reactivate their applications for one of the two terms following their original application. Candidates who do not request reactivation within the year are required to submit a new application.  Please be aware that candidates who reactivate their applications are essentially reapplying for admission.

Applicants who were not previously admitted cannot use the reactivation application process to apply again.

I am a current Columbia Engineering graduate student and would like to switch to another program in a different department or for a doctoral program, what should I do?

Current Columbia Engineering graduate students only who would like to be considered for a new degree program should reactivate their prior application. If applying after one year of enrollment in a graduate engineering program, then students should submit a new application for admission and contact the Office of Graduate Student Affairs for assistance retrieving prior materials to use with the new application or obtaining an application fee waiver.

Current Columbia Engineering graduate students must upload a copy of their academic record onto the online application even if it is their first semester at Columbia and no grades have been reported yet.  Not doing so can cause delay in the review of the application for admission. However, students need not request an official transcript be mailed to the Office of Graduate Student Affairs.